Friday, June 10, 2011

Let's Worship Together!

I grew up in very evangelical, pretty much Baptist style churches. My work experience has been for a non denominational camp and a Baptist church. I have a pretty good handle on what the mainstream church culture looks and feels like, especially from the point of view as a youth worker. So, when I hear the current conversation circulating about how we as youth workers need to be directing and training our families to worship together, I get the context in which the question is being asked. There are some many churches that have separated all of their programming, and as a result have created competing entities under one roof.

When I got to my current church I expected a similar mindset. However, I quickly realized that I was wrong. My Presbyterian church didn't have this mindset. In fact, they not only encouraged family worship, but expected it. Every service has an announcement along the lines of "your kids are welcome here, we want families to worship together". I have learned a whole new perspective. It is a perspective that is often oblivious to the trends and shifts of popular church culture, but in this particular area, it seems that we are actually ahead of the curve.

I also lead a local network of youth workers, and as I have had conversations with many of our "mainline" youth workers, I would even say that those that specifically come from a more Reformed tradition, I have found that many of them already hold this ideal in high regard. So, my question would be, if this is the "future" of youth ministry as it is being described by the experts, then shouldn't we be utilizing this resource? There are ministries that are already practicing this as a regular part of their programming and don't have to make a major shift in thinking, planning or communication... do we have these people at the table?

No comments:

Post a Comment