Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Little Ol' Ladies Prayer Circle

One of my ministry mentors, Brian Aaby, is always hammering home the point with me that Youth Ministry is a three pronged approach. Students, Leaders, Parents. Even though I have seen glimpses of this in my first year and a half of full time ministry, I didn't fully grasp the full idea until about Thanksgiving of 2010. It was also hammered home last week when Kara Powell was presenting her information about the intergenerational "sticky" church. It was in these conversations and presentations that I realized that they were speaking from experience and research, and so instead of being bull headed and trying to do it my own way, it would probably just make sense to follow their advice.

And so, I have been trying harder to do just that. And today was a break through moment for me. Every Wednesday afternoon, some members of our church gather religiously to pray for the hurts, needs, and desires of our church. It is usually older members of our congregation and I very rarely doesn't revolve in the those participating. This means that for an hour every Wednesday, the same small group of people are praying. Every Week. Without missing a beat. Only two weeks of for the Christmas break. And I had never attended....I just walked back to my office and close my door to get work done. I would sometimes pop my head in and ask for a request here or a praise there, but I never spent the time to sit and pray with them. Until today.

I decided it was time to get more three pronged, get over myself and enter the unknown of the Little Ol' Ladies Prayer Circle. And it was one of the most refreshing spiritual experiences of my week. Earnest and consistent prayers, asking for healing on behalf of others, Scripture as prayer and praises for the Creator of the Universe. All I can say is that it was awesome. It also opened up there door for them to pray for me, which was unexpected. All of this to say, I think I am headed back to the Prayer Circle next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment