Sunday, January 9, 2011

On Point

Do you ever have one of those days where feel like you are exactly where you need to be? Well not only did I have one of those days, but I had one of those weeks. During the Communities of Hope Summit with the NNYM this week, I had this feeling of "this is what you were created to do, go and be the best Youth Worker you can be." When Kara Powell was presenting, she made me feel like I was at least in the right ballpark when it came to may thoughts and premonitions about Youth Ministry. And then Sunday School happened today...

I would say that most of my students don't really know what the job of a Youth Pastor actually looks like. The day to day "office work" idea doesn't seem to click. Most of them seem to think that I sit in my office twittling my thumbs and cruisn' Facebook. Although some of that is true, I tried to express that my job is so much more than that. We talked about the trips to campus, staff meetings, the events that have to be planned, the two lessons a week that they experience and so on. But then I came to the bottom line: a combination of emotion and Proverbs 22:6. "I love you guys and I care about your souls, I am here ultimately to be some one to help guide you on your own path of faith." The light bulbs went off for many of the students. From there we were tracking...and we had a great time of discussing this years plans and calendar, exploring Matthew 22:34-40 as our theme and loving on each other.

It is after Big House sessions like the one today that reminds me that I am exactly where God wants me and needs me and that I absolutely love my job, even with the downsides. I love my students at WPC and they are growing on me more and more.

2 comments: